Flash Memory weared out -> trying to boot from msata

Hello,
please don’t create 2 threads and 1 post about the same issue, which you have. This doesn’t help and it just confusing others.

First I’d like to know if you had any LXC containers on eMMC. Most of there failures are caused by LXC containers, because of their logs by default are writing too much and that’s why we have all logs saved in RAM, but common GNU/Linux distros don’t do it. eMMC should be more reliable and faster than e.g. microSD cards, USB flash drives, but don’t forget that it has also lifespan of writes like those storages, which I mention.

In the documentation, we have mentioned that you shouldn’t use LXC containers on internal memory. Once you create LXC container it will tell you the same on the command line and notification will also appear in Foris.

In the Turris OS version 3.10, there is Storage plugin for Foris and to use this plugin, you need to have plugged some external storage (at least USB flash drive) which will do:

• It will format a device to btrfs, create a partition
  • Move all the current data from /srv to the device’s partition
  • Mount the partition as /srv

In my eyes, it’s better to wear out USB flash drive, which you can very easily replace than eMMC, which we have soldered on board.

In the other thread, you mention that you worn out eMMC.
Can you tell me if you purchase your router during our Indiegogo campaign or you bought it from the seller?

If you purchased it from us then ping me on tech.support@turris.cz regarding the I/O error, which you get. Would you please send me the whole output from the serial console, while you’re flashing medkit? I’ll see what can I do for you because swapping eMMC will be most likely paid repair.

If you purchased it from seller then you need to contact him.

When you read it to the end I have a good news for you!
Booting from mSATA will be possible since Turris OS 3.10 because we need to enable some options in the kernel and we’ll have documentation for it, but it is only for advanced users, which know what they’re doing.
It’s possible that we’ll bring you more options from which you can boot, but it takes time.