How do I set up the router

Finally! Got it working and am on-line with the Omnia. Heavenly.

Am rather deeply frustrated by the experience so far alas, and have an unresolved question. As in: why?

Here’s the low down I’ll share here and in the other thread and with Turris support (who have an open ticket on this with me).

Working base configuration:

NBN NTD UNI-D Port 1 -> CAT6 cable -> WAN port on Netcomm NF12

that provided fine and dandy internet.

Remove CAT6 cable from Netcomm NF12 and insert into WAN port of Omnia to produce:

NBN NTD UNI-D Port 1 -> CAT6 cable -> WAN port on Turris Omnia

No internet. WAN line not detected. WAN LED flashing in 7 second cycles of one second flash followed by 2 or 3 0.1 second flashes and 6 seconds off in endless repetition as documented here:

Two known Australian users with Turris Omnia on NBN, both helping me out, namely WayOutWest here and VoltageX from here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13586581

and some support from Turris Omnia support staff. Alas no real progress quickly on working out what was causing this and still do not know! And would like to know! As learning is one my great passions.

What we did do, cornered like rats in a sense, with nowhere else to go, was try to replace on part of this system I could and I got a different CAT6 cable, so that I have:

NBN NTD UNI-D Port 1 -> CAT6 cable 2 -> WAN port on Turris Omnia

And suddenly the WAN LED on the Omnia is lit, albeit flickering, consistently. And yes, WAN is up and I’m posting this through it.

To wit, the cable was the cause.

And yet, the million dollar prize (in the figurative sense alas) goes to anyone who can explain how an ordinary sealed shop bought CAT6 cable can run a working PPPoE connection between an NBN NTD and a Netcomm NF12 but not between an NBN NTD and a Turris Omnia, but a different CAT 6 cable (also sealed shop bought albeit a different make and length) can?

Defy’s all my expectations.

My premises are:

1. PPPoE is a rigorously defined universal standard
  2. CAT6 cables are a rigorously defined universal standard

Hence it is conceptually impossible (without one of these premises being wrong) for a given cable to work between two devices and not another two.

The evidence suggests one or both premises are broken and that the Omnia implements PPPoE differently to the Netcomm NF12, using perhaps a core that is missing from one cable but present in the other.

I would be genuinely pleased if Turris could weigh in and explain this.

For now, I’m rolling with the Omnia at last and thoroughly loving have an OpenWRT router in place.

Regards,

Bernd.