Missing whois binary

Reping on: Is the whois utility available?

Any chance to include whois binary in the next release of Turris? As per https://forum.openwrt.org/t/whois-binary-cannot-find-providing-package/31274, it can be provided in the base system with a flag CONFIG_BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_WHOIS.

CC @Pepe @cynerd

1 Like

New packages are considered as a feature and it should go to minor release (5.2/5.3 and so on). With your package request I am fine, why not. There isn’t any other alternative on the router and 6.3 Kb isn’t so much space, but little bit wonder what is so bad about using whois on websites. Anyway, let’s hope that others will benefit from it, too!

Please consider sending a pull request in our turris-build repository. You can use Gitlab or it is mirrored on Github.

If we were to use websites for everything, there would be no need for Linux whatsoever. :wink:

3 Likes

I prepared a patch, which I would like to send to OpenWrt, so hopefully, they will accept it. Let’s see. But before doing that, I am waiting for approval from my colleague that I can merge it in our distribution and it would be part of Turris OS 5.2.0 release.

4 Likes