SATA controller on MiniPCIe

Hi, anybody knows if TurrisOS on MOX can support an ASM1061 or any other SATA controller on modules B or G?
Thanks!

In general the linux kernel supports it since around 2011 and with the respective kconfig flags set it should be working.

If you want to place the controller board and the SSD inside the O or M it might be a difficult fit, that is probably why the NAS box attachment been conceived https://youtu.be/V-ACJhjRqC8?t=230

As for the power supply it does not seem to be an issue since the aforementioned NAS setup with a SATA controller (not sure which chip) would appear to work.

Heat dissipation could be an issue with two SSD inside the device.

That said it is curious that the kernel log actually states two available SATA slots for the O’s build-in controller:

ahci-mvebu f10a8000.sata: AHCI 0001.0000 32 slots 2 ports 6 Gbps 0x3 impl platform mode
ahci-mvebu f10a8000.sata: flags: 64bit ncq sntf led only pmp fbs pio slum part sxs
scsi host0: ahci-mvebu
scsi host1: ahci-mvebu
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 mmio [mem 0xf10a8000-0xf10a9fff] port 0x100 irq 45
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 mmio [mem 0xf10a8000-0xf10a9fff] port 0x180 irq 45
ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)

Thus, wondering whether it should not be possible to deploy two SSD natively (least in the O), perhaps one in the slot next to the CPU and another one in the slot farthest from the CPU.
Of course, that would mean forgoing one WLan card.

1 Like

I should be able to find my way with that info now. Thank you!

Some readings related to Omnia, SATA issues: SATA HDD issues
There you find link to “original” NAS sata controler on Amazon as well some alternatives. It is old and long, but some info is still handy.

Plus all the issues users faced so far (including me).

Since i got my OmniaNAS box i was not able to use two drives at same time. Second channel/drive was having i/o error during rw mount or very shortly after. It seems that second channel is broken or power supply is not able to handle two 4TB disks at once. Not mentioning NCQ issues and sata link stuff (some users have to lower the sata link speed to make it working)

Was not aware of such issues but then those appear to happened with the outdated TOS3.x, perhaps things have improved since then with TOS5.x?

Not for me. I am on 1 3.5 WD black HDD and 1 ADATA 256GB SSD (on port 2), and I am getting those issues on bootup, sometimes the boot process fails completely.
I suspect the driver craps out (e.g. drives are not mounted and there are a bunch of ATA errors in the kernel log) before the boot modules-boot.d atsha-fix process disables NCQ (which is a workaround)…

I am waiting for my first Mox (Modul A Start + SDIO + modul E). And I am looking for possibilities how to make NAS (with SSD, M.2 NVMe or mSATA, etc.) Ideal with RAID 5.

I found some mPCIE card (on AliExpress), but always There is a problem:

1. mPCIE to 1 or 2 Sata with or without RAID - but there is missing power for disks. Only additional external power adapter.

2. mPCIE to USB3 -> USB3 to PCIE (it needs external Sata power) -> PCIE Raid controller (it needs external power for SATA HDD

3. Use USB3 disks or enclosures (sata, M.2 etc.) - problem is a few drives for NAS with RAID

Finaly I found this device:
External box for 4 drives 3,5" Sata III with own power adapter, connected to PC, MACs by USB3 (5Gbit/s) or by eSata (3Gbit/s).
This box supports RAID 0, 1, 3, 5, 10 and without Raid.

What do you think? Is it the way, how to make NAS with RAID on MOX?

https://www.raidsonic.de/products/external_cases/soho_raid/index_en.php?we_objectID=1003#properties

Thank you for ideas.

The main issue I see with this is that it will use a port multiplier. While this version looks like it has some RAID built in, using it as a JBOD can be problematic when using software RAID due to throughput.

My knowledge on this may be outdated, but this has been an issue for me in the past.

I would also avoid using built-in RAID on something like this. It’s a black box and recovery in case of failure may be impossible.